Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wichita! Twister and OZ come to mind

***Journal from Sept. 22***

Actually I do have experience with the Gale force winds Kansas can produce.  I'm not sure how a state with such friendly people ended up with such crazy weather.  But so far these first two days have both started out raining and then ended up with the sun shining and the wind at my back.

Yesterday started out nice as Emmanuel Lutheran put me up in a hotel.  I got to church to see that I had a flat tire.  I should have taken a picture of the little bugger that worked his way into my tire.  I hadn't seen 'Goat heads' since Nevada!  A little worried about future incidents I made my way over to the bike shop and bought extra thick tubes, 5x!  I have done many different activities in a church before but changing a inner tube was a first.  In the picture you notice me struggling a bit and Jesus in the upper left watching me....probably saying, "I'd cycle with ya to but trek was still coming along in my day.  I tried to get Thomas on it but he didn't believe me when I said it was a good idea."  (blogger cut the pic off at Jesus' neck)



So I got on my way and it was a nice day, much to my dismay the rain went away and I said Yay!
It was a a good and fast ride to Wichita.  I dodged many miles of fuzzy wuzzies and even made a movie of one, but for the time being it won't upload.


Other events of the day consisted of buying ice cream from an ice cream truck playing Green Day.  Hate is a strong word but I really really really don't like ice cream truck music.  So when I found them playing Green day I felt very compelled to walk up and purchase something from them.  And I saw my good luck charm up close which is a monarch butterfly.  There is a lot of symolism connecting the monarch to my journey and they always seem to pop up in the right places.


The concert went very well.  There were a lot of people tonight.  Last night there were only 10 so it was unplugged, but tonight there were 50 people which was the largest crowd thus far.  I messed up a new song I was doing but I'll have it for tonight.  The host family is really great. Paul and Freyja were very hospitable.  We had delicious food and these grandparents have foose ball, pool, pingpong and air hockey downstairs, all full size but sadly I have no one to play with : (  Next time one of you will have to cycle through Wichita with me!

well that's all for now.  Today was a good second day of riding!  I'm still feeling strong so that's good as I haven't done back to back 60+mi Days since last year.

Life's a journey, Keep on ride'n!

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment