Friday, November 27, 2009

Cycling into D.C. and ending my ride at the Lincoln Memorial

I woke up and looked outside and I imediatly realized that it was a mistake yesterday to quit early to catch the Packers and vikings games.  Rain was on the forcast today and it looked to be a certainty.  I got on the road before eight o'clock in hopes of beating the rain.  I had to cross a bridge that they would shuddle me across but not before they robbed me for it.  It costs 30 bucks to get a ride across.  Luckily before I got to the bridge I stopped at a gas station to get a bit of food for lunch, but then I saw something better than lunch, a truck with a guy getting ready to go.  I asked him if he was going to be crossing the bridge on 50 going towards D.C.  When he said that he was and seemed like a nice enough fella I asked "You wouldn't mind being a taxi for a cyclist looking to cross the bridge as they are not aloud."  He said "Sure! I don't see why not."  Yess!! I was in luck.  I think that there are reasons why we meet certain people sometimes and after talking with this guy for very long it was pretty easy to figure out why we crossed paths.  As we were talking I told him a bit about my story and the cancer and he told me that his mother had the same type.  Usually when I tell people I have brain cancer they leave it at that and do not go on to ask what kind.  But it turns out that his mom fended off my kind of cancer until her 80's before she died.   Some survivors don't want to talk about cancer stuff but I don't mind.  

Cycling into D.C. the traffic was insane. but I had a pretty good shoulder most of the time but crossing the exiting lanes seemed a bit dangerous, but I was just careful when I had to cross them.  When I arived at the "Welcome to Washington D.C." I just felt a great rush of acomplishment, not as much as when I hit the Atlantic coast at VA beach, but here is where I end my ride.  I cycled to the mall and was guided there by the Washington monument.  I saw it from blocks away and once I got there I cycled around it taking a few picures.  The reflective pond was a disapointment as it was drained for cleaning but oh well.  I cycled to the Lincoln monument and took a few pictures.  I've really enjoyed all of the lincoln spots along the tour from the birthplace, to some things in IL to this memorial to the exibit I caught on my way home in Chicago.  There was a group of cyclists that were local riders for some cause there when I got there.  I told one of them a bit of my story then I went to visit the memorial up close.  I came back to my bike and road by those cyclists and they all started clapping and cheering me.  It was a very welcome conclusion to a very very long epic journey.  I smiled and waved as I cycled past.  I cycled to the road and was picked up by friends. to get me ready to catch the train home.  It was a wonderful conclusion to my story.  Now the next adventure will be to document this entire journey from front to back with the cancer battle in the middle in my book.  It's one heck of a true story and all I had to do is pay attention and take notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment