Thursday, October 15, 2009

10/15 Host built airplane/Owensboro, KY gig




Today was pretty laid back.  I took care of computer stuff this morning which is never fun but I like keeping Y'all, as they'd say down here, updated, so I hope someone reads this stuff.  I just picked up my computer which was off but the computer was hot, which is wierd and can not possibly be a good thing.
This morning Colby, my host, took me to his airplane hanger to show me the airplane that he built in his garage.  It wasn't a life long aspiration or anything.  He just had a friend that was a pilot and he went flying and decided to build himself a plane.  How cool is that!  He built it right in his garage.  He told me about how he made it from the plans and if it was nicer he'd take me flying, so that was a bummer that it's just been crappy weather outside.  We went to the church where my bike was and cycled to his house which gets me closer to my destination tomorrow.  It was a really fun 15 mile ride and we really went.  we were between 15 and 20 mph most of the time, so I was pretty impressed.  One hill I decided I was going to jet right up because I don't like going slow on hills...just good to get them over quick sometimes.  I stood up and went right at it and I get near the top and he pulls up right beside me.  I don't think I could have climbed it any faster so Colby is one tough old guy.  He said he rides about 250 miles a week during the summer which was much better than I and is phenomenal shape for someone in their mid to late sixties (I didn't ask : )

Later we went back to the church for the gig.  They were really were really fun to play for and talk to.  I can easily feel the energy level from up front if people are diggin it or not, which usually isn't a problem but it's always good when they're into the stories.  It helps that this experience has given me more than enough material go on.  Liberty (the pastor, yes that's her name) was really nice to talk with.  She is in her second call, the first solo call and everyone likes her a lot.  She used to be in the La Crosse synod and she remembered me from the crazy 2007 assembly when I decked the kids out in Orange shirts before they got up and sang.  Anyways, she would have been a good person to get to know back home as I always enjoyed talking to pastors in their first call, since I'd been thinking of going that direction for sometime.  At the program there was one cancer survivor who had also been through three heart attacks!...yes three.  He was in the front and after I finished the song I wrote he exclaimed "Yeah!" in his whispery voice.  He had the biggest smile, and a good reason too, as I'm sure he takes nothing forgranted in life.  He is the guy above in the picture getting ready to go after the concert.
Faith Lutheran was a lot of fun to visit.  Someone said they'd have to be good because they'd end up on this blog, so whoever said that, no worries, it was all good here in Owensboro!  : )

Rock on In Christ,

Joe ><>

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe, Kathy Cue here (church secretary at Faith). We thoroughly enjoyed listening to you last night! I wish you could have stayed for a few days so we could have gotten to know you even better. I really admire you and what you are doing. Where do you go from here and when will you get home? Hang in there and I hope the weather improves for you soon. Blessings and smiles, Kathy

    ReplyDelete