Thursday, October 22, 2009

10/17 E-town and President Lincoln's home birth town memorial





Hey Hey, I’m back blogging again.  You know, Eastern Kentucky isn’t exactly a metropolis out here!  I just started getting into Appalachia and the leaves are in full bloom and it is absolutely mind bogglingly, is that a word?, geogeous out here.  There have been some very good experiences and some not so good ones as always.  E-town, or Elizabeth town was a very cool place.  I didn’t do a regular program as it was just a Sunday morning deal but they really liked the stories.  I sang in the choir and there was a nice 9th grade girl showing me the measures and how to read the music.  I didn’t teller her I spent 5 years studying this till later, otherwise she might expect me to be good.  They put me up in a hotel the first night but the second night I stayed with a neat fella named Dallas.  He’s about as kind of a person as you are likely to run into.  He cept on offering to buy me shoes if I didn’t have good ones or socks.  I had to show him my bag of socks before he’d stop offering, but it was kind of him.  He had a garden he loved, fish and deer on the wall and stories to go with them and a picture of a 12 foot sunflower, which he was very proud of.  They put it in the paper.

The one thing I was looking forward to was going to President Lincoln’s birth town where they have memorials and allegedly, his birth cabin.  I saw the Bible that president obama used during his inauguration.  I enjoyed the whole experience, even though the main memorial was closed and I couldn’t see the cabin.  I watched a film and saw a display of what it might have looked like while they lived in that little one room deal.  I bought some souvenears which I don’t usually do, but I was looking forward to this more than anything this whole half…besides completing the tour..  The tree that was in his yard was 28 years old when he was born and they showed different accomplishments through the rings of the tree.  You can catch me taking the pic in the reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment