Saturday, October 17, 2009

10/16 Surprises and rain

Publish Post

10/16   Owensboro to Rough river   Elise and Colby hotel surprise

So I had a day of cycling in  the rain and cold.  It was in the fourties all day.  I could see my breath most the day as I pedeled along.   But on the good side, the colors are beautiful and the shades that I wear make the colors that much more aluminating.  The yellows and reds are even brighter.  I was going to camp and I could have done that, but when I got near my destination I found an Inn and it was 50 bucks, so that was the majic number and so I got a room.  I constructed a few cloths lines out of parachute rope and bunge chords.   I turned up the fan to blow on everything and got changed.  I was just going to have a candy bar and maybe a banana as I hadn’t had dinner yet and I surely wasn’t going to go back outside.  I had missed a phone call earlier.  I called Dad cause I thought it was him.  But then pam called from the next church so I took that call.  Elise called while I was talking to pam but I didn’t inturuped my conversation with pam and then I lost the signal and then there was a knock at the door which I assumed to be hotel people and I’m like “ahhh,  I can’t talk to everyone at once!”  as I was trying to talk to these people on the phone and I didn’t really want to be inturupted by hotel people.  I wanted to call either try to call pam back or get a hold of Elise.  I opended the door to a surprise.  It was Elise and Colby (my last host)  I thought maybe I had left something but they tracked me down because Colby had went to play polker with the VFW guys and he had decided before he started that he would send the money to me to support me and my tour if he won.  Though he hadn’t won anything for some time, he did tonight and handed me 5 20’s.  I chuckled a bit telling him he didn’t need to do that.  He just said that he wanted to.  I invited them in to chat and then they asked if I had eaten any food.  I told them about my planned snicker bar and banana lunch since I didn’t want to cycle out in the cold and wet.  They asked if I wanted to go get some food and if you’ve read before, you’ve learned that I have a firm policy : )  I never turn down food.  So we went out for a bite and got a good bowl of chilly and Grilled cheese which wasn’t on the menu but they made it for us….didn’t figure it would be too hard.  It was a very pleasant surprise to see them again.  The sad part of the tour is to get to know so many great people and have to part so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment