Sunday, October 25, 2009

sat10/24-Random Church basement stay/beautiful Appalachia

room from night before



10/24/09  Hazard to Pippa Passes 40mi day

Today just felt like a lazy day.  Pastor from Hazard put me up in a nice hotel last night which I thought was very nice of him considering that I didn’t make it to his church to do the gig, but he was very nonchalant about it which was nice.  He was very understanding about the delays from the bridge detour, which I was probably more upset about than anyone, but I don’t want to think about that right now or I’ll get upset again.  Since I was in a plush place this morning I just took it easy.  I had breakfast and then I posted some stuff, then I had second breakfast and that’s another thing; I was hungry all day.  It didn’t really matter how much I ate.  I got out of Hazard at 11 but found a wal-mart and knew that they would have the compass that I’ve been wanting on the road for the last 400 miles that I just keep forgetting to get.  I walked back out to my bike and there was Wesley, the pastor’s son from Hazard.  He was like “ I saw the Orange bike and told my uncle Joes here!”  Yeah, the orange reflector material is unique and a pretty dead giveaway that I’m somewhere in the vicinity.  It’s funny, I’m still paranoid that someone’s going to steel my bike even though it’s not worth anything, just cause I’d me so up the creek if anyone did take it and I doubt I’d find another bike shop to just give me another one.

So setting off it was drizzling and I figured that it was going to be a rainy day.  I didn’t even wait for the hard stuff to gear my feet up.  I hate having soggy feet more than anything and my second pair of booties are not working out that  great either, but what does work is when I take the first pair that didn’t work and layer them with plastic shopping bags over my shoes.  Spend all kinds of money on gear and the best thing are bags you get for free, even if you don’t want them.  I once bought a bag and they put it in a bag…
I wanted to call the day after 20 miles, I was just tired or more mentally lazy today,  but once I hit 30 at Hindman and found exactly what I was hoping to find, grilled roast beef cheese sandwich and soup, I was a happy camper.  I called ahead to a hostel but she said she doesn’t do that anymore but there was a church that is not being used that the ladies across the street have keys to, so that sounded good to me.  I love how I stay at all kind of cycling places that I don’t even find out about through adventure cycling or any organization, it just comes to you down the grapevine when you are on the road.

So I got to the church and then called the lady who used to have the hostel to ask where the two ladies live that have the keys.  And as I’m talking to her on the phone a lady walks out on the balcony and waves and I figured I had found her.  So they both came down and unlocked the church and got me all set up.  I was just fine camping out tonight, but it looked as if it could rain so I’m glad to be indoors. 

And Just now as I was journaling there was a knock at the door.  I tried a few different doors before I got the right one and it was a lady I had talked to earlier here when I was trying to find the church.  She works at the college, as I cycled through a college campus which looks like a really neat little private college.  It’s all set up and looks like  village with old buildings of brick and…well anyways, she just walked over because she had put together a little bage of goodies for me which was very sweet.  It came at a good time because I was kinda hungery but I’m in now and don’t want to venture out.  She said you are brave, I’m afraid of the spiders down there, then recalling I did smush one spider, but I didn’t know that there were like spiders plural down here.  I don’t have arachnophobia or anything but I don’t like them cralling on me in my sleep and biting me.  I had that enough in my home growing up.  I thought, maybe I’ll find a room in the basement and close the doors and kill all of the spiders in the room….then looking around I found that would never work, but then I’m like duh, I have a mesh tent.  So I set my tent up, happily now that I have snacks and a solution to a problem that I worried about since she brought it up.  Ok.  Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment