Friday, October 9, 2009

Lost in Translation story/Mississippi Crossing!!/Pouring Rain All Day!!!!






10/8/09
So the morning didn't start out that great and that pretty much set up the cycling day.  One thing about me is that I really don't like being rushed.  I was getting around to packing and it was 10:30.  Dad and I had gone out to breakfast, so I was getting a later start.  I had till 11:00 to pack and checkout.  There was a knock at the door.  It was the Indian guy, not native american, but Indian who had a pretty thick accent and we had a conversation that went something like this "5 minute check out."  "what did you say?" I replied.  "You Stay?"  "No, we're checking out today."  "Ok, I check you out today."  "No No No, Not stay, To-Day and it's not time."  "5 minute check out."  "It's 10:30" I replied fairly disgusted.  And the conversation wasn't as clear as it sounds as I type it either.  I had to listed very attentively to try to make out what he was saying, so this went on for a little while and eventually I just said ok ok ok and he left.  Dad was getting out of the shower.  and I told him that this guy said we needed to be checked out in 5 min.  So I packed in a hurry grumbling a bit as we were the only ones in this big roachmotel, so you'd think they could take a chill pill.  Dad went to check us out as I'm hurrying grabbing my stuff and packing it away and getting my bike gear on.  I didn't want Dad to get charged with another day, so I ended up standing outside in my bare feet as I had an extra pare of socks in the car.  I'm standing there holding my helmet outside waiting for dad to come back from the lobby and then I hear the door open behind me.  It's the Indian guy I can't really understand, but he has this phrase down, "2 dollar tip for house keeping."   I'm not sure what the expression on my face said but I'm sure it went something like "you've got to be out of your mind."  I consider myself a generous tipper, but as I'm standing there in my bare feet rushed out of my room as it's starting to rain.  I replied " you'd have a much better shot at getting a tip if you didn't rush us out of our room before check out."  Then I pointed to my spandex cycling shorts, "besides, does it look like I have any money back here?"  I wanted to be much ruder to him as I was not in a good mood.  but he waited for dad to come back.  He hadn't quite figured out that curiousness helps him get a tip.  Dad gave him a dollar and he went away.  Had he been nice I wouldn't have minded giving him several dollars, but I didn't like him this morning.  It started to rain and I stood out there getting my socks on under the overhang getting my socks and shoes on as Dad waited in the car just wanting to get out of the parking lot cause these hotel people seemed just a little slick hoping his card didn't get charged more.  I'm pretty frustrated cause I needed to get my rain gear on but I left with my yellow jacket which is "rain resistant"  and we got out of the hotel.  After Dad left to go up a couple of towns ahead I stopped under  a shed as my jacket was soaked through by then and I got a dry shirt out and put my hardcore rain gear on.
With no gig to go to, I called my day 30 miles short at Chester, IL.  I was a funny sight as I haven't been able to fine a helmet rain cover, but what Mom was given for me when she was with me was a shower cap that looked like it was 15 years old, still unused, with little frills around it, definitely used for an old lady, as the lady was in her 70's that gave us the cap (and she was a very nice funny old lady that we had stayed with)  and you know what?  It worked splendidly.  It fit over my whole helmet.  My gear managed to keep me pretty dry the whole day as it would down pour for a while, then it would just rain, then it would pour and it repeated this most the day until we stopped, then it was just a drizzle.  The only gear that turned out to falter were my little shoe booties.  The got soaked and then soaked my shoes.  So I'm going to go online and buy these other ones I was looking at.  It always is a bummer when gear doesn't work out because it usually is expensive, but even though my feet were wet, they were warm, so it wasn't that bad.

Before we crossed into Chester, IL I got to cross the mississippi and this was a very exciting thing for me because the Mississippi is just one of those land marks you know?  We have it right up near home, and I was looking forward to crossing it on my ride.  This bridge pails in comparison to our two bridges in La Crosse.  There is just enough room for two lanes.  No walking is aloud and cycling it is a bit dangerous.  one guy honked at me and I hate that they do that...not a nice, "you go!" honk but a "you're in the way" honk.  I don't always respond very politely  to these idiots.  Like what am I supposed to do? Move over and fall in the river?  But I didn't let that guy ruin my crossing.  I took a few pictures as I was cycling cause this is a very momentous moment in my trip and I might put those pictures in my book so I don't care if it costs some driver 3 seconds of his day.  I cycled over 3000 miles to get to this point and I'm going to take it in.
After a few more pictures at the Illinois sign we were in Chester, apparently the "Home of Popeye," you know, the sailor man?  ie ie ie ie.   We went to the museum since it just seemed like the only logical thing to do in the home town of Popeye, but alas, it was closed.  

You should see the hotel room.  I did laundry and am hang things to dry and everything is used around the room, so it looks like my bob trailer back just exploded and stuff is everywhere.  


No comments:

Post a Comment