Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thunder Storm Camping 10/6


Night of the 5th- 12 miles west of Ironton on N

So after the Packer Viking Game I walked out to my tent, not really expecting what I was in for.  I awoke at about 2AM to Thunder and Lightning.  It wasn't raining to hard...yet.  I got out of my tent and did the extra measures securing my rainfly to the frame.  I grabbed my rain suit from my saddle bags so I could have it in my tent just incase I needed to make a run for it.  I packed all my gadgets away in plastic bags along with the chargers and put them in my computer bag.  The wind picked up and the rains came down.  There were a few pretty good lightning strikes but it was nothing like the storm I camped in last year in Kansas that practically did blow me to OZ.  It began to blow over, so got back in the bag and went back to bed, almost thinking "all that effort for nothing."  but then "how crazy am I to sit here and think, geeze I wish there would of been a greater storm since I went through all the preparations for it."  But I'm glad it wasn't.  

The next morning it just rained and rained and rained, so I just ate breakfast and since I was playing at 7pm and had all day to go just 12 or 13 miles,  I went back to bed.  I wasn't going to ride in rain if I didn't have too, besides the roads are dangerous since they don't have shoulders on them.  I should start a movement within the adventure cycling website to write these governments that the national trail runs through to put in shoulders for cyclists.  The motorists would be happy as we'd be out of their way and we'd be happy because we wouldn't worry so much about getting killed by some inattentive teen texting their bff.

No comments:

Post a Comment